12/21/07

A Penny is Not Enough

I'm not sure. I once wrote, somewhere, that this was the most positive song I was capable of writing. What does that say? A morbid sort of confidence emerges here. I will not leave behind a legacy of unopened letters, boxes of shit, problems in my name. Really Brian? Take a look in my basement and you'll see I am all talk. But still, this is a song of understanding. I'm working through it casually - lazily even - I am bumping against my mortality here.

The highlight of the recording is the timid vocals, percolating up in this mix, by my friend Jennifer Arbour. I recall the recording of this number. It was in an attic apartment. Jennifer sat on a stool when she cut this track.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi hi jennifer arbour here! ahh yes..i remember when were practicing that song at my apt in beverly and my neighbor starting yelling at her teenage daughter. i had to close my living room window which didn't do much. recording in the quiet attic living room of bmr's and jw's apt was so great. viva la penny!