1/7/08

Errors Intact (CDR-EP 2001)

Shortly after the release of The Way Things Work, I started recording Errors Intact. In the one-sheet that I included with this one, I called it an EP that was intended to bridge the gap between The Way Things Work and A Sweet Science (the next CD). I don't know how I was going to bridge a gap when I did not even know what bordered that gap, but that was my line. More to the point though, this EP marked a real shift from everything I did prior. There is palpable tension on this. In performance and in content, I was pushing myself. Searching and sulking, my voice cracked and creaked and the instruments lumbered behind.

The name, Errors Intact, is part of a broader artistic philosophy and obsession. Scratchy marks, bad recordings, shoddy paint jobs, free association, old paper clips. I like to imagine everything I do as written down in the back of an old volume of ornithological prints, on the blank yellowed pages. Errors are the truth.

The whole thing was recorded in an attic apartment, under a reinforced glass skylight. My friend and former band-mate Jason Cammarata mixed it with me in his dining room and did it with simplicity and charm. The packaging was more Kraft brown, but this time it was in a limted edition of 50. 25 were designed and assembled by me and 25 were designed and assembled by the Automatic Expansion Project, now known as {HEXIT}.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

2001! Has it been that long? It was always a very good day when on the hallway floor I would find a package from BMR most likely containing a rubber stamped Kraft CD sleeve hiding a new song or 2 or 3.
Very happy to be asked to package 1/2 of the Errors Intact EP.I've smiled a rainbow listening to all these songs again. Like Bones Underneath is still an all time favorite. Man what a tune! I never asked much about the songs, so not to break there spell & dilute the essence. Now these little captions revive them with a whole new charm 7 years later.